Today, staff worked together to make rooms usable for students to return to school on Thursday. Please let your child know that as we return to school tomorrow, everything will not yet be totally back to normal. There is still replacement and restoration work to be done. For example, base boards everywhere will not be reinstalled for a few more days so furniture and other items have not yet been moved back against walls. Many of our teacher desks and bookcases, must be replaced, so temporary storage tubs and boxes are being utilized until replacement pieces can be ordered and arrive. The Morton Computer lab will not be functional for the next 1-2 weeks as the custom-built computer tables need to be replaced. We have temporary folding tables ordered so that we can get the lab back up and running ASAP while replacement tables are built to needed specifications. Please bear with us as we complete the additional work needed to get things totally “back to normal”.
We have worked hard to make our parking lot, circle drive for drop off, and the optimist pick up area as clear as possible. The path from the school to Optimist Parking Lot has been shoveled. A huge thank you goes out to Larry Brooks of Brooks Excavation for his help getting parking lots and driveways cleared of winter break accumulation. Thank you also to the volunteers who shoveled the walking paths.
Some notes for our return to school:
- Please use the school’s circle drive for morning drop off.
- We will continue to use the Optimist Parking Lot for afternoon pick up.
- For now, to be as safe as possible, students will be using only the front doors of the school to enter and leave the school building.
- Tomorrow (Thursday) morning, students will gather in the gym when they arrive to school
- We have worked to clear ice in the playground area and hope to be able to have outside recess.
- Please remind students to keep out of areas with yellow caution tape. This has been put up to restrict access in especially icy areas around the school.
- If possible, have your students wear snow boots or similar for drop off, pick up, and recess. Feel free to send a pair of tennis shoes with them to change into for classroom time. Keeping an additional pair of dry socks in their backpack is a good idea too.
- Afterschool Art Class will be in session tomorrow, Thursday 1/12/17
- Boys Basketball Team practice will begin tomorrow, Thursday 1/12/17 2:30 – 4:15 p.m.
- Mrs. Freed will NOT be holding her afterschool tutoring tomorrow, Thursday 1/12/17. Please be sure your child gets picked up at the end of the regular school day.
Winter Weather – We are excited to be planning to have students return to school after our flooding incident. We are hopeful that this is an end to the need for school closures. However, weather and road conditions will continue to be a consideration throughout the winter months. Please continue to monitor for possible school closures in case travel conditions deteriorate.