To our Rolling Hills Families,
We are excited to start a new school year! Based on staff discussions during our Professional Development time and preparations for the 1st day of school this Monday, August 22, I have some clarifications and changes that will impact the “old habits”. Teachers and staff want the First Day to be very successful for your child.
Beginning on the first day of school, we will start to establish our regular routines. We want our students to learn right away that the intended routines are important to keep them safe and happy. On the first day, teachers and staff will be parking in the Optimist Parking lot to allow for less congestion at front of the school. You are welcome and invited to accompany your child to the back of the school for our morning routine. If you plan to do so, please plan time to park in the Optimist lot and walk with your child(ren) to the school, this will help to serve others who need to drop their child off at the front of the school and leave promptly.
Building access at the beginning of the day will be limited. Our teachers arrive daily about 7:30 am, but need the time to prepare for classes and the day. Please, parents and students, do not walk down the hallways to go talk to staff or teachers, unless you have pre-arranged an appointment. All students (and parents if accompanying students) are asked to use the exterior walk way on the North side of the building to get to the back of the school each morning. Please drop off your child at school before 7:55 am for our line up activities, but not earlier than 7:45 am (Children having breakfast at school may arrive as early as 7:30). Thank you!
End of day pick-up at the Optimist parking lot routine will be different this year. We will have staff helping to direct you for the first several days.
- Driving the loop of the Optimist parking lot is the best way to pick your child up. Stay in your car and help to keep the traffic flow moving
- If you arrive early and the children are not out at the pick-up lines, please wait by parking in the North side of the Optimist Parking lot. When you see your child’s class arrive, then drive the loop of the parking lot.
- If you are in the flow of the traffic with the loop and your child is not yet out, please help keep the flow of traffic going by driving the loop again. Do not stop and wait in the flow of the traffic, this causes the congestion.
- Do NOT park in the spaces in the middle of the loop area of the Optimist lot (the spaces directly across from the student pick-up lines) to wait for your child. It is not safe for the students to cross moving traffic to get to the cars parked in these spaces and pulling out of these spaces back into the loop traffic adds to the traffic congestion.
- The exit gates to get out of the Optimist lot are both open for your convenience on Horseshoe Bend and Hill Roads.
- If you have parked on the North side of the Optimist parking lot and wish to walk over to pick up your child, you must check with the teacher before taking them out of line. This is an important step to helping us be accountable for the safe dismissal of your child. There is so much going on during the pick-up time, that the teachers ask that this check out happen face to face. It takes just a second to be sure the dismissal is correct. Your child’s safety is our number one priority.
I hope that this provides details of our desires to make the first day a GREAT Day! We want to establish our routines and create the SAFE, STRUCTURED environment you expect. With your cooperation and support we can accomplish this. Please call or contact me with any questions regarding the first day at 939-5400.
With warm regards,